New Era

Well, as a sports fan, and specifically as a St. Louis sports fan, today is filled with mixed emotions. I agonized once again as my favorite baseball team, the St. Louis Cardinals lost in the playoffs. The last time they won the World Series was in 1982, before I was old enough to realize what the difference was between a ball and a box. The first time I remember them in the World Series was when they lost in 1987, when I was not in St. Louis yet, and I thought that Kirby Puckett was cool. Sometimes I feel bad about this fact, but then I remember that it's just sports, and Kirby Puckett was pretty cool.

Now, though, not only is the Curse of Keith Hernandez still haunting the franchise, but we also have to say goodbye to Busch Stadium. Once criticized for being another one of the "cookie cutter" stadiums, Busch Stadium has become one of the most beloved havens for baseball fans in the country. After converting it to a full time baseball stadium, (it had shared time with such things as the St. Louis football Cardinals, the Beatles, and REO Speedwagon) and taking out the awful astro-turf, and adding a few upgrades and modern amenities, the stadium had really become quite a place. Fun for kids, beloved by true sports fans, enjoyed by everyone, it was great. Even after all the other "cookie cutter" stadiums (of which Busch Stadium was the first) were torn down, Busch Stadium seemed to be getting better.

Now it will be gone. The plans for the new stadium look nice. It's supposed to have more "good" seats. And there are plans in the works for a Stadium Plaza that hopefully will benefit a struggling downtown area. It will also take over the name Busch Stadium. To me it will always be the New Busch Stadium, even when it is old and cracked. However, that is better than some of the new corporate names that are out there.

I have some fond memories of Busch. I saw the Wizard do a few back flips there. I saw Big Mac hammer some balls. I saw the Great Albert Pujols play. I heckled Rickey Henderson. Ben Clark and I tried and failed to get some autographs from Orel Hershieser and Tommy Lasorda once when the Dodgers came to town. I booed Kenny Lofton in the playoffs. I learned how to use a scorecard there. I even witnessed a few baseball miracles. It was pretty cool.

Next year will be a new chapter for St. Louis. New ballpark, probably some new faces. And even though we missed out on a championship this year, maybe next year we can bring it home.

No comments:

Confederate Monument in Forest Park

I am not a fan of the Confederate Monument in Forest Park. I thought it was appropriate to be upfront about this. This post is simply here i...