Super Bowl Party

That was an exciting game, but man do I hate those Patriots. I still don't quite understand how this could have happened. Yes, I was expecting the Patriots to win, but in the way they did, it became quite strange. The Patriots managed to put together a game winning drive with less than two minutes remaining after a game tying catch by Ricky Proehl. That was at the end of Super Bowl XXXVI. Now two years later they managed to do the exact same thing, helped somewhat by that bonehead kickoff out of bounds.

Some highlights and lowlights and random thoughts:

Steve Smith gave quite possibly the most vicious stiff arm I have ever seen on that wide receiver screen early in the game. It is unfortunate that he could only get 3 yards on the play.

Jake Delhomme's two long passes for touchdowns were two of the most perfectly placed long passes I have ever seen.

New England made those play action passes near the goal line look too easy. They forced the Carolina DB's to spy the backfield by establishing a solid running game early. Ricky Manning Jr. managed to look like a fool a couple of times after playing like a hero for most of the playoffs.

Houston's Reliant Stadium has some obvious turf problems. If I had the biggest game of the year in my house, I would have the best turf available. The turf caused obvious problems for both teams. It is unfortunate to say the least.

I was really pulling for Rod Smart, but "He Hate Me" managed to have a crummy game. Even he was embarrassed by that slip on his third return. At least the turf was better in the XFL!

After a typically pedestrian half time show, I'm glad that Justin Timberlake made good with his surprise appearance and tore off that piece of Janet Jackson's costume. Justin later apologized for the "wardrobe malfunction." Don't apologize Justin. You saved the show and showed up that silly streaker.

Before tonight, has the phrase "wardrobe malfunction" ever been used?

The Panthers offense in the first quarter was the worst I have ever seen.

John Fox proved tonight that he has a lot of learning to do as a coach. Greg Gumbel put it best when he said you shouldn't "chase the points" going for two that early in the fourth quarter cost his team the game.

On a more positive note, it was refreshing to see a fantastic, live performance of the National Anthem by Beyonce.

Some thoughts about the Super Bowl Commercials:

Although there were a few good ones, this was quite possibly the worst crop of Super Bowl commercials ever.

The commercial with the donkey and the one with the horse and carriage were clever, but I only found them funny because of personal experience.

That Ford GT looks mean!

Homer was funny as usual.

The best commercial was the NFL commercial with the players singing "Tomorrow."

I kind of wish that CBS had shown that MoveOn.org ad. At least then I could have gotten mad. It would have felt better than being bored during the commercial breaks.

I do not feel bad for that ref in the Budweiser commercial. He dug his own grave on that call he made as his own wedding.

One word for that new CBS show "Century City": BOMB!

No comments:

Confederate Monument in Forest Park

I am not a fan of the Confederate Monument in Forest Park. I thought it was appropriate to be upfront about this. This post is simply here i...