A Movie and Movies

As a member of this esteemed group, I try to shun as many duties as possible. I do not know if it is right to say that it is your duty as a member to see a movie, but I can strongly recommend that a fellow member of this Group Cool (TM) sees a particular movie. At this time, that movie is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I have now seen this movie, in its entirety twice. I would like to see it again. It is easy to blurt out things like, "It's not a typical Jim Carrey movie." But at this point in his career, I do not quite know what is typical for him. If you liked Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, Human Nature, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, or simply the idea of a Charlie Kaufman penned movie, then you will most likely enjoy this movie and its mind trips and its naked humor and its poetic love story.

I am not a movie critic, although I aspire to play one on T.V. It is hard for me really be a movie critic. As a movie fan, I find myself getting lost in a movie, and I often forget to worry about the details. I feel slightly fake when I begin to rant on about the acting, writing, lighting, and other artistic qualities about a movie. I judge movies in simple tones. If a comedy makes me spit milk through my nose, then I like it. If I inexplicably get sand in my eye in the middle of a theater while watching a compelling drama, then I like it. If I am enthralled and interested by a suspense thriller until the end, then I like it. If I want to know how it ends because I feel like the characters have become a part of my soul, then I like it. If the summer blockbuster keeps me entertained and amazed, then I like it. If I'm a little freaked out for the next couple of days after a horror movie, then I like it.

Above all those, however, few movies tread. If a movie really makes me think, then I love it. And I mean think. Some movies make me rethink some of my preconceived notions about everything. Some movies make me think about the meaning of life, the universe, and everything. Some movies trick me into feeling real emotions about the characters on screen. When I leave the theater shaking my head saying, "wow" or, "oh wow," those movies are my favorites. Those movies I love. Did I love this movie. I think so. It touched me. I feel silly saying that, but I think that it may be true. I wanted to know so much more about them and their story. It made me think about love and what chemistry is and what kinds of decisions I should or could make. Should you see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? I think so. Is it your duty? I don't know. Sometimes duty seems like a dirty word to me.

No comments:

Confederate Monument in Forest Park

I am not a fan of the Confederate Monument in Forest Park. I thought it was appropriate to be upfront about this. This post is simply here i...